Eastern Idaho Water Right Coalition Members:
Report on 2023 Activities
Your Coalition had perhaps the busiest year since it was organized, responding to a myriad of issues and decisions from the Idaho of Department Resources.
- Starting in December 2022, we held a special meeting to educate legislators on the SWC / IGWA Settlement Agreement and why it fell apart.
- We worked closely to understand the IDWR Director’s Curtailment Order and change in the Methodology used. We worked to help members develop a proper response.
- We held a special meeting in the spring for members and legislators to review the potential impacts of the curtailment order.
- Subsequently East Idaho Legislators appealed to the Governor for relief. That resulted in a special Water Summit in Boise and the formation of the ESPA GMA Advisory Committee.
- We formed an East Idaho Water Think Tank to discuss ideas for the Groundwater Management Plan and ways to deal with the curtailment order.
- We participated on the IWUA Legislative Committee.
- We worked with IWUA Director Paul Arrington on an agenda for the annual meeting that would deal with ESPA issues head on.
- We actively participated in an IWUA Work Group dealing with the Domestic Well Exemption Issue.
- We revamped and regularly updated the Coalition’s website, www.easternidahowater.org
- We participated with IWUA on a Legislative Water College Tour in the Magic Valley, visiting with numerous legislators.
- We attended and reported on Governor Little’s Water Summit in Boise.
- We invited new IDWR Director Mat Weaver to speak to our 2023 EIWRC Annual Meeting and answer questions.
- We monitored meetings of the ESPA GMA Advisory Committee.
- We funded a technical specialist to attend meetings of the ESPA modeling committee.
Keith Esplin Roger Warner Executive Director President Eastern Idaho Water Rights Coalition